St. James’s Episcopal Church’s sanctuary stands at an intersection significant to the history of Cambridge, Massachusetts and on the site of the former Davenport Tavern. St. James’s was founded in 1864 by the Reverend Andrew Croswell, a retired Episcopal priest who became the church’s first rector. The building was constructed by Cambridge builders and master Mason craftsmen. It is architecturally significant as an excellent example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style in Cambridge and the only Massachusetts work of the prominent church architect, Henry Martyn Congdon (1834-1922). Over the years, the sanctuary has come to house many beautiful stained glass windows and a historic bell re-cast by Paul Revere.